In Canada,Toronto and Vancouverare the cities with the greatest proportion of people who encounter major problems with renovation contractors (63%) in comparison to other major cities and national data. That said, Vancouverites are less likely than Torontonians to experience more than one major issue on a single project, making the West Coast city runner-up for the very unenviable top spot.
The Reno-Assistance survey reveals that 7 in 10 Canadians have difficulty finding a contractor they can trust for a renovation of $5,000+.
Some key survey findings about different Canadian regions:
- The Atlantic provinces are where major renovations cause the most stress – even more than buying a new property. This, despite being the region with the highest trust and satisfaction levels in the country towards contractors.
- Calgary is the city where price is most important, more so than honesty – which is the most important selection criteria in the rest ofCanada.
- Montreal and Vancouverare the champions in mysterious disappearances/theft of belongings over the course of a project. Our survey points to this happening 6% of the time.
- Saskatchewan/Manitobais the only region where people spend more time choosing a trip abroad than a contractor for a renovation project.
- Toronto is the Canadian city where people are most likely to have their deposits stolen (9% of our sample), get unforeseen extras billed (27%) and require work to be redone due to sloppiness (22%). It is also the city where it's most difficult to find a trustworthy renovation contractor: 78% find it difficult.
Are Canadians Careful Enough?
Few Canadians make the necessary verifications, such as ensuring the company they are signing with legally exists (16%), has proper insurance (19%), a licence (27%), a clean legal history (14%) and so on. 9/10 people do not look into credit information about their contractor before entrusting them with projects sometimes worth tens of thousands of dollars.
An infographic highlighting more key survey findings can be accessed here:https://www.renoassistance.ca/en/news/ipsos-renovation-survey-infographic/