SAWDAC calling on feds to follow through with home improvement loan program
By Jason Neal
By Jason Neal
The Siding and Window Dealers Association of Canada has launched a petition calling on the federal government to follow through with campaign promises to launch a $40,000 interest-free home improvement loan program. Text of the petition below…
Dear Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:
COVID-19 has crippled our economy. Millions of us have lost our jobs and the ability to support our families.
Across the country, nearly 1.5M Canadians work in the construction industry; driving millions of jobs in the Manufacturing and Real Estate industries. Job losses are staggering!
In September 2019, you made an electoral promise to help save our environment, through a $40k interest-free loan to make our homes more energy-efficient. You said: “It’s a win-win-win”. We are calling you out on this promise: we need it now more than ever!
We urge you to:
- Deliver an interest-free loan program for renovations that will make our homes more energy-efficient and safer;
- Expand the program to include renovation projects that make our homes more comfortable;
- Help immediately create hundreds of thousands of jobs through this program; and
- Help us leave behind a better environment for our children.
The great news is that this program won’t cost the government a dime: it will likely be budget positive!
- Jobs created will allow hundreds of thousands of Canadians to go back to work and help the much-needed economic recovery;
- This will generate billions in income tax and HST revenue, as well as reduce the amount of EI payments being made; and
- It will reduce our carbon footprint, reduce our energy bills AND update our homes.
This is the type of program we need to avoid another massive recession and further job losses and bankruptcies. We need your help!
OUR HOME IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT ASSET. OUR ENVIRONMENT IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT LEGACY.
Jason Neal – Executive Director, SAWDAC